New joiner seeking tips

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Martin Reed 1 day, 9 hours ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Saggitare
    ✘ Not a client

for around two years I have been affected by very poor sleep. Probable cause being a snoring partner, and more rental, occasional neuropathic pain. I feel I have pretty much exhausted self help,and do rely upon proscription and over the counter medications increasingly more. What does work that isn’t a prescribed medication?

Martin Reed
    ★ Admin

Welcome to the forum, and I’m sorry to hear about your sleep struggles. You are now among others who know what you are going through and want to offer you all the support you deserve.

You mentioned that you have been affected by poor sleep for around two years. Do you recall what originally triggered your sleep issues two years ago?

Moving forward to today, what do you think is the biggest obstacle preventing you from getting the sleep you are looking for? Is it your snoring partner, neuropathic pain, or something else?

Saggitare
    ✘ Not a client

I think the main cause has been periods of neuropthic pain, that can appear suddenly and last for days or weeks or sometimes months, in my arms. It can then disappear for sometimes a year.  Due to this, when the nerve pain is bad, it prevents me sleeping, or wakes me up when asleep. I believe I have developed an anxiety when I go to bed because of this.

I have good sleep hygiene, exercise regularly, have a good diet, don’t smoke or drink etc, but still suffering real bad lack of sleep. I am wondering how long is considered a reasonable time to drop off before getting out of bed to start over again….I am often tossing for an hour or two. Would you recommend limiting the available time to sleep? Is it called sleep limitation or similar?

Martin Reed
    ★ Admin

No wonder you have developed an anxiety around sleep when your nerve pain flares up. If you are tossing and turning for an hour or two when in bed, then it’s usually a sign that you aren’t ready for sleep at that moment — so the best course of action is typically to get out of bed.

What time do you typically go to bed at night, when do you get out of bed in the morning, and how many hours of sleep do you usually get each night?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!