Trazodone as a sleep aid

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Martin Reed 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

CammieT
    ✘ Not a client

Has anyone had experience with being prescribed trazodone as a sleep aid? I’ve been experiencing trouble falling asleep for the past few years. Finally went to my doctor, who recommended trazodone. I’ve never heard of this medication before, which made me a little hesitant to try it. Hoping to learn about others’ real experiences.

Martin Reed
    ★ Admin

Hello Cammie, and welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear that you have been struggling to fall asleep for the past few years and that your doctor’s suggestion was to try trazodone. Did your doctor happen to mention cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia (CBT-I)?

In the United States, primary care physicians are encouraged to recommend CBT-I as the initial treatment for chronic insomnia because it is more effective than sleeping pills and doesn’t come with any of the side-effects associated with sleeping pills.

When you do you normally go to bed at night, when do you normally get out of bed to start your day, and roughly how many hours of sleep do you get on a typical night?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!