What are you doing this weekend?

Feeling stuck in the insomnia struggle? Get the free insomnia sleep training course!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Martin Reed
    ★ Admin

Any exciting or fun plans? Even if the answer is 'No', then just satisfy our curiosity and tell us what you're up to!

I'm hoping the weather will be kind – if it is, I am hoping to go kayaking. My wife and I recently ordered an inflatable tandem kayak and can't wait for it to arrive! I've also got into homebrewing beer, so I might get a brown ale started.

If you are ready to stop struggling with insomnia you can enroll in the online insomnia coaching course right now! If you would prefer ongoing phone or video coaching calls as part of a powerful three month program that will help you reclaim your life from insomnia, consider applying for the Insomnia Clarity program.

The content of this post is provided for informational and educational purposes only. It is not medical advice and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease, disorder, or medical condition. It should never replace any advice given to you by your physician or any other licensed healthcare provider. Insomnia Coach LLC offers coaching services only and does not provide therapy, counseling, medical advice, or medical treatment. All content is provided “as is” and without warranties, either express or implied.

Caers
      ✘ Not a client

I just bought a lovely new table and chairs patio set, and I'm hoping to finish laying the flags in my yard (it's taken almost two weeks, bit every day, because I have arthritis in my spine and shoulder), and then I'm going to sit at my new set, hope it doesn't rain, and drink coffee and relax.

afitzu
        ✘ Not a client

I've left the warmth of the desert and have headed to Tulsa, OK for work. This weekend I hope to visit a local brewery here and sample some of the local beer and maybe do some exploration. I have the hardest time sleeping in hotels. I'm hoping my meds allow me to at least get some decent sleep so I can get my work done and get out of here.

Martin, I've done some home brewing myself. So far the only 2 I've done are a Bavarian Hefe and a Nut Brown that was very tasty. Are you brewing in 5 gallon batches?

Martin Reed
          ★ Admin
            'Caers' wrote on '03:

I just bought a lovely new table and chairs patio set, and I'm hoping to finish laying the flags in my yard (it's taken almost two weeks, bit every day, because I have arthritis in my spine and shoulder), and then I'm going to sit at my new set, hope it doesn't rain, and drink coffee and relax.

I didn't know you had arthritis – sorry to learn that. We're looking at getting a picnic bench to go out on our deck – every time the sun shines I want to be out there, but it's not so comfortable lying flat on some cushions! I also want to get a hammock!

What are you laying flags in your yard for?

'afitzu' wrote on '03:

I've left the warmth of the desert and have headed to Tulsa, OK for work. This weekend I hope to visit a local brewery here and sample some of the local beer and maybe do some exploration. I have the hardest time sleeping in hotels. I'm hoping my meds allow me to at least get some decent sleep so I can get my work done and get out of here.

Martin, I've done some home brewing myself. So far the only 2 I've done are a Bavarian Hefe and a Nut Brown that was very tasty. Are you brewing in 5 gallon batches?

A local brewery? nice!

Yup, I brew in 5 gallon batches. I have an ESB in the fermenter at the moment and plan on doing an Oatmeal Stout next. After that, an English Brown Ale!

If you are ready to stop struggling with insomnia you can enroll in the online insomnia coaching course right now! If you would prefer ongoing phone or video coaching calls as part of a powerful three month program that will help you reclaim your life from insomnia, consider applying for the Insomnia Clarity program.

The content of this post is provided for informational and educational purposes only. It is not medical advice and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease, disorder, or medical condition. It should never replace any advice given to you by your physician or any other licensed healthcare provider. Insomnia Coach LLC offers coaching services only and does not provide therapy, counseling, medical advice, or medical treatment. All content is provided “as is” and without warranties, either express or implied.

Elfin
            ✘ Not a client

We have been having some great weather here and the kids have just had the Easter holidays and Bruce has just had 9 days off work so we have done a few things BBQs and trips to the river etc. We have nothing exciting coming up as Bruce goes back to work Friday night but looking forward to reading what other people are going to be doing.

MarinaFournier
              ✘ Not a client
                'Martin' wrote on '03:

Yup, I brew in 5 gallon batches. I have an ESB in the fermenter at the moment and plan on doing an Oatmeal Stout next. After that, an English Brown Ale!

I salute you in your homebrewing, although I am more likely to drink meads than beers, ales, stouts & lagers, due to my loathing of the taste of hops. I am not a bitter fan. While I have a fondness for antique apples and pears, no bitters or bitter-sharps for me, as I am not likely to make cider or perry (I adore perry).

Caers
                ✘ Not a client
                  'Martin' wrote on '03:

I didn't know you had arthritis – sorry to learn that. We're looking at getting a picnic bench to go out on our deck – every time the sun shines I want to be out there, but it's not so comfortable lying flat on some cushions! I also want to get a hammock!

What are you laying flags in your yard for?

Just flag stones, to enlarge my actual patio area. I was pulling them up from one area of the garden and moving them to another (when I say I was moving them, I mean my brother, because I can't lift anything or I risk being in bed for days).

Yeah, I've suspected about the arthritis for a couple of years, but the pain got so bad this winter that it forced me to go back on pain management meds and get it formally diagnosed. It was always a possibility, developing it early, since I had juvenile arthritis in my hands. But that's life, and you just try to deal with it and get on.

MarinaFournier
                  ✘ Not a client

On Saturday, I'm going to the Pagan Pride festival in Berkeley, in a park at the side of which is a great Farmers' Market. There is a fantastic olive oil producer, and aside from great produce, there are good food vendors as well. I usually spend an hour at the FM before wandering over to the festivities.

Sunday is the US Mother's Day. I've learned that Mothering Sunday in the UK often involves bunches of daffodils, which I adore. Last year I bought about a dozen bags of a variety of bulbs & let my gardener use his best judgement on placement. Thus, this spring, flowers never before seen in this yard have been popping up all over. I'd say we have enough ordinary yellow daffs, and I should get more unusual ones, as well as more crocus, tulips of all styles, callas & cannas, and irises. Much of that is for before the spring-to-autumn plants wake up and uncurl themselves from dormancy.

I've also learned that in Mexico, Dia de las Madres is on Tuesday this year. I told my gardener to cut as many roses from my garden (I have plenty for sharing) as he would like for his madre and abuela. I need to ask him about whether it's always on a Tuesday, or whether it's always the 10th May.

My MiL is here with us for the first time in many years at Mother's Day. For her, while she's been away on a visit, I've purchased (on eBay) and planted several different kinds of white hydrangea. I've asked my son to make pancakes, at which he's rather good.

LAST weekend, there was the open Beltane ritual up in Berkeley, complete with May Queen & King, a Maypole, an 'Obby 'Oss, a Teaser & a Soot Wife. The town of Padstow in Cornwall, which has a long tradition, along with Minehead, of May Day festivities involving the above, Morris Dance, and a host of other characters, has been kind enough to give us (that is, certain members of our tradition, New Reformed Orthodox Order of the Golden Dawn–if they'd have known a Wiccan tradition would actually form out of that exercise, a more reasonable name would have been chosen!) one of their older Teaser's paddles, with which the Teaser directs the 'Oss, who is in a rather bulky, unwieldy costume (look in the Wikipedia) with limited visibility. It's to acknowledge the continuing tradition of May Morning here in the States.

The next Ihatethistimeofthemorning, I rose before first light to go up to Baylands Nature Preserve, east of Palo Alto. Every year, just before first light, a few to several sides (teams) of Morris Dancers show up at various points in the Bay Area, in order to dance the Sun up & the Summer in. The lineup often starts with Abbott's Bromley Horn Dance, with one wind instrument and silent dancers carrying shed antlers on sticks. Once the sun is above the horizon, in this case the east bay mountains, their program winds down, and the morning is finished with Selinger's Round (a dance in the round for all who will, aka Beginning of the World?). In past years, I've gone off to breakfast with friends, but this year, none of my usual crowd showed, and I merely went to a local fancy market to get supplies for dinner that night. A friend of ours is kind enough to have her birthday on May Day, thus giving me an excuse for a Beltane feast. In this case, it was an orchestrated pot-luck. I made the boneless lamb roast and the asparagus, my son the creamed potatoes, my husband the appetizers and the cheddar creamed cauliflower. One guest brought both flowers, salad and a trifle (her first), as the birthday girl was born in England and lived a good half of her life there. Tracy's sweetie procured the lamb and the mango mousse cake from his employer at employee discount, and there were bottles of wine that never did get opened. As it was, there was champagne, a light white, and an inexpensive Sauternes for dessert (I'd never had any, so I bought the bottle, waiting for a nice dinner to serve it).

On the 14th, our belly dance troupe (House of Inanna) does a shorter version of The Descent of Inanna than the one we did at Rakkasah West in March, when I still had to walk with that blasted “air cast boot” that kept me way too warm. We will do this at a local hafla, a dance party, on the 14th, and then at TribalFest11 up in Sebastopol the following weekend. The role of Ereshkigal, Inanna's twin or older sister, and definitely her Shadow, was choreographed for the two gimps in the troupe–Rowan with a bad shoulder, and me with my healing heel. Not much dancing for us–standing around, glaring & looking menacing, some pointing, a wee bit of walking, and that's about it. Rowan would have been at Rakkasah West, but for coming down with penumonia and being hors de combat for about two months. I stepped in about 10 days before, learned the blocking, sat to rest before and after the performance, as I still wasn't all that mobile at the time.

The weekend after that, in San Jose, means one of three sf/f conventions (“cons”): BayCon, the oldest of the three, a regional sf/f/h con, Fanime, and FurryCon (I think that's what it is called), for cosplay involving humanoid furred animals. The last is just not my style–too much clothing etc for this easily-overheated woman. I may not get to more than one day of BayCon, as none of the guests are anyone I read or otherwise enjoy their output. There's this jeweler I've been buying from/using for repairs & construction for about ten years, and we enjoy each other's company. I expect she & her crew will be over for dinner before or after the con.

And that's why I won't be at the RT online form…

MarinaFournier
                    ✘ Not a client
                      'Martin' wrote on '03:

I'm hoping the weather will be kind – if it is, I am hoping to go kayaking. My wife and I recently ordered an inflatable tandem kayak and can't wait for it to arrive!

Should you ever get down to the Monterey Bay for a vacation, bring the kayak. Elkhorn Slough, near Moss Landing, is a great place for kayaking, and you can even kayak on near-shore parts of the bay near the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

yamerias
                      ✘ Not a client

Hmmm, this weekend…

Well as long as I don't wind up in hospital AGAIN, I'll basically be kicking back and enjoying myself the best I can….watch a few movies, listen to a few albums and maybe even read a book if I can concentrate.

Don't think that I've got any plans (which is nice) so it will be great to take it easy 🙂

mariamoody1985
                        ✘ Not a client

This weekend…

I am planning on going to Glasgow with my mum overnight on Friday; Have my friends 2 little kids stay over on saturday and maybe visit friends on sunday if I'm awake enough!! haha. I love having my car!!! haha

Decided that I need to do more things rather than being stuck in the house all the time when I am tired! It seems to be helping me focus on life a little bit more, rather than sleep. Sleep is still not happening very well but I'm just enjoying the sun while it's here (Scotland's not usually the sunniest place!)

Elfin
                          ✘ Not a client
                            'mariamoody1985' wrote on '04:

This weekend…

I am planning on going to Glasgow with my mum overnight on Friday; Have my friends 2 little kids stay over on saturday and maybe visit friends on sunday if I'm awake enough!! haha. I love having my car!!! haha

Decided that I need to do more things rather than being stuck in the house all the time when I am tired! It seems to be helping me focus on life a little bit more, rather than sleep. Sleep is still not happening very well but I'm just enjoying the sun while it's here (Scotland's not usually the sunniest place!)

I find getting out of the house helps me focus on other things rather than how tired I am and am I going to get any sleep at night too.

Scotland sometimes I am thankful we get daylight lol

UliHarp
                            ✘ Not a client

This weekend, I've got a number of things on to do.

Friday:

First, new posts for all my blogs and adding book excerpts to my flash site.

Secondly, cranking out rough sketches for my current illustrating gig.

Thirdly, going shopping with my sister for our mother (mother's day is around the corner).

Lastly, my father, his husband and I going out for dinner and karaoke.

Saturday:

First, corresponding to my postal penpals.

Second, planning father's upcoming 50th birthday. (Oh, you bet, I'm getting a naughty cake.)

The rest of the day: WRITING MY BOOK AND SHUNNING THE WORLD until chapter thirty is complete.

And about a million other things in between.

UliHarp
                              ✘ Not a client
                                'MarinaFournier' wrote on '04:

LAST weekend, there was the open Beltane ritual up in Berkeley, complete with May Queen & King, a Maypole, an 'Obby 'Oss, a Teaser & a Soot Wife. The town of Padstow in Cornwall, which has a long tradition, along with Minehead, of May Day festivities involving the above, Morris Dance, and a host of other characters, has been kind enough to give us (that is, certain members of our tradition, New Reformed Orthodox Order of the Golden Dawn–if they'd have known a Wiccan tradition would actually form out of that exercise, a more reasonable name would have been chosen!) one of their older Teaser's paddles, with which the Teaser directs the 'Oss, who is in a rather bulky, unwieldy costume (look in the Wikipedia) with limited visibility. It's to acknowledge the continuing tradition of May Morning here in the States.

On the 14th, our belly dance troupe (House of Inanna) does a shorter version of The Descent of Inanna than the one we did at Rakkasah West in March, when I still had to walk with that blasted “air cast boot” that kept me way too warm. We will do this at a local hafla, a dance party, on the 14th, and then at TribalFest11 up in Sebastopol the following weekend. The role of Ereshkigal, Inanna's twin or older sister, and definitely her Shadow, was choreographed for the two gimps in the troupe–Rowan with a bad shoulder, and me with my healing heel. Not much dancing for us–standing around, glaring & looking menacing, some pointing, a wee bit of walking, and that's about it. Rowan would have been at Rakkasah West, but for coming down with penumonia and being hors de combat for about two months. I stepped in about 10 days before, learned the blocking, sat to rest before and after the performance, as I still wasn't all that mobile at the time.

Beltane ritual and belly dance troupe? That all sounds so fun! I would lose it if I could go see/participate in those things. Also, I love the reference in your troupe's name to the Sumerian goddess; what a cool pick for a belly dance group!

UliHarp
                                ✘ Not a client
                                  'Caers' wrote on '03:

I love sitting outside on patios when it's nice. Glad to have the good weather coming back!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!

Want help from a caring sleep coach?

My name is Martin Reed and I am the founder of Insomnia Coach®. Enroll in my free sleep training course and start improving your sleep today.

• * Get 1 email every day for 2 weeks.
                                • * Learn how to improve your sleep.
                                • * Pay nothing (it's free).

Over 10,000 people have taken the course and 98% would recommend it to a friend. Your email address will not be shared or sold. You can unsubscribe at any time. Privacy policy.

Certified Health Education Specialist logo Certification in Clinical Sleep Health logo ACE-certified Health Coach logo