What are you doing this weekend?

Feeling stuck in the insomnia struggle? Get the free insomnia sleep training course!

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    aimee
    ✘ Not a client
      'UliHarp' wrote on '07:

Good luck on that article, then! (Knocks on wood; literally)

What type of writing? Ooooh… depends on the project!

But really, my primary work/concern is my book, which is indeed a novel.

The novel is literary fiction, with a single element of fantasy. It's set in an alternate world similar to our own; the technology is most comparable to the Renaissance era's, and the culture is a hodgepodge of Scandinavian, Asian, and European influences. I implement a lot of psychology and sociology into the book, too, so it's a mental workout each time I write.

The story itself follows five different characters whose lives are somehow connected. Put simply, following two couples and a quasi-widower. One couple is Sarikah and Hayaku: the Empire's crown princess and a village pariah who met/are now eloping. The other is Aya and Yusu: the Emperor and a peasant woman who were lovers before Aya's crowning, separated for many years, and are now back together since Aya is soon to leave his throne (technically, an affair). The quasi-widower is Amaya; the Empire's crown prince. He had a very strong love-relationship with one of his stepfather's concubines (who died), and since has refused to show interest in others (be it acquaintances or his arranged fiancée, Sarikah).

We follow each of the couples/characters through their paths to either put pasts to rest or find redemption/peace.

>Sarikah herself had a troubled childhood; her mother was murdered by her elder brother when she was very young, and she was taken in by her uncle right afterward, who refused to shine light on anything to do with her brother/mother/father. So her struggle begins as one of finding answers. When she does, and her character merges with Hayaku, their struggle becomes eloping and living free. In the end, they do find peace.

>Aya and Yusu are a little… complicated. They don't have a goal as a couple, and they fight each other more than anything else. Aya's individual goal is simply to be with Yusu. Yusu doesn't have a distinct goal involving Aya; she doesn't fully trust him to leave his wife. Her character just “goes with the flow”.

>Yusu actually spends more time trying to help Aya's son, Amaya (mentioned earlier), out of his drug abuse and grief. (Which Aya resents.) Even though her character has no set goal, she frequently helps out and worries for the others.

As far as redemption/peace for Aya and Yusu, they find both, but it's rather bittersweet.

>Amaya has more… malicious goals. When his lover (Abhi) was alive, he was much different: his goal then was to rescue her from his abusive stepfather by banishing him and then to live with her. When Abhi died, Amaya sought revenge on his stepfather (who was the hand of fate), the Empress (who ignored Amaya's pleas for banishment) and Aya (who also ignored pleas). He ended up murdering his stepfather (early in the book) and now does anything to ruin Aya's goals. (Which catches Yusu in their crossfires constantly.) He's quite the tragic character, who dabbles in a lot of vice and sin. In the end, he doesn't find peace or redemption.

Even with all these characters, there's smaller, secondary/tertiary characters who have mini-plots thrown in here and there to support the main fives' plots.

It's… it's interesting. And a headache! I've been with these characters so long, I feel very close and protective of them (I often use a metaphor to describe this- I call them my children.) Don't get me wrong, I love writing this book, but I hate some of the emotions it drags me through. When the end of the story comes and I have to write three of the five main character's deaths, I'm going to be devastated. (How's that for obsessive? Haha.)

I apologize for the length of this purge, too; I tried to format it to be easier on the eyes. My friends and family never ask about my book, for fear that I'll rant for days. (Which I have. 😉 )

Sounds interesting..I like cultural/psychological/sociological stuff. I got my bachelors in Sociology and still find it very interesting. I would like to read your book when it's all finished! How long have you been working on it?

UliHarp
      ✘ Not a client
        'aimee' wrote on '07:

Sounds interesting..I like cultural/psychological/sociological stuff. I got my bachelors in Sociology and still find it very interesting. I would like to read your book when it's all finished! How long have you been working on it?

Wow; I'm flattered that it sounds interesting to you. Technically speaking, I've been working on it for six years. But really, it's changed so much that what I have now is in no way reminiscent of the first draught (except for character's names, that is). I've rewritten it numerous times over the years, but kept trashing it because I didn't know exactly where I was going; I hadn't fully formed the plot or the characters back then. I guess you could say they were giant brainstorms?

Only these past two years have I been working on this version. (Which I'm finally happy with, and DO know where it's going/what needs to be done.) So far, there's 30 chapters, 461 pages… and I estimate 3/4s through the plot(s).

aimee
        ✘ Not a client
          'UliHarp' wrote on '07:

Wow; I'm flattered that it sounds interesting to you. Technically speaking, I've been working on it for six years. But really, it's changed so much that what I have now is in no way reminiscent of the first draught (except for character's names, that is). I've rewritten it numerous times over the years, but kept trashing it because I didn't know exactly where I was going; I hadn't fully formed the plot or the characters back then. I guess you could say they were giant brainstorms?

Only these past two years have I been working on this version. (Which I'm finally happy with, and DO know where it's going/what needs to be done.) So far, there's 30 chapters, 461 pages… and I estimate 3/4s through the plot(s).

That is a big project! So did you write several drafts of the entire book??

UliHarp
          ✘ Not a client
            'aimee' wrote on '08:

That is a big project! So did you write several drafts of the entire book??

Well, I wrote each draught as far as I could take it; each time I started over was either when the plot I had going wasn't working, or the plot took on a new direction that I wanted, but couldn't fit into that current version. It took several tries to get the plot exactly how I wanted. And now that I have (fully formed/completed the plot), that's the draught I'm working on now.

Also, the first two draughts were handwritten in notebooks; the first major upheaval was when I switched to typing on the computer! Haha.

aimee
            ✘ Not a client
              'UliHarp' wrote on '10:

Well, I wrote each draught as far as I could take it; each time I started over was either when the plot I had going wasn't working, or the plot took on a new direction that I wanted, but couldn't fit into that current version. It took several tries to get the plot exactly how I wanted. And now that I have (fully formed/completed the plot), that's the draught I'm working on now.

Also, the first two draughts were handwritten in notebooks; the first major upheaval was when I switched to typing on the computer! Haha.

Oops, just saw this reply. That is a huge project! I want to read it when its all finished, published and in book stores!

Martin Reed
              ★ Admin
                'aimee' wrote on '18:

Oops, just saw this reply. That is a huge project! I want to read it when its all finished, published and in book stores!

Me, too.

If you are ready to stop struggling with insomnia you can enroll in the online insomnia coaching course right now! If you would prefer ongoing phone or video coaching calls as part of a powerful three month program that will help you reclaim your life from insomnia, consider applying for the Insomnia Clarity program.

The content of this post is provided for informational and educational purposes only. It is not medical advice and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease, disorder, or medical condition. It should never replace any advice given to you by your physician or any other licensed healthcare provider. Insomnia Coach LLC offers coaching services only and does not provide therapy, counseling, medical advice, or medical treatment. All content is provided “as is” and without warranties, either express or implied.

UliHarp
                ✘ Not a client

Well, I'll be sure to let you guys know! 😀

MarinaFournier
                  ✘ Not a client
                    'UliHarp' wrote on '04:

Beltane ritual and belly dance troupe? That all sounds so fun! I would lose it if I could go see/participate in those things. Also, I love the reference in your troupe's name to the Sumerian goddess; what a cool pick for a belly dance group!

Depending on where in the Northern US you're located, you could indeed find both of these via a web search. For the Beltane ritual and other Wiccan sabbat celebrations, you might use “Beltane in N”, N being your city/town, county or state–or region such as “tri-cities area”, a fairly common occurence in the US, or email me at [email protected] for more specialized assistance.

For belly dancing classes, haflas, or festivals, I'd do about the same, but with different search terms. If you are after a particular style of belly dance, such as tribal, tribal fusion, cabaret, Turkish, etc., use that search term before the location search terms. If you're not finding what you seek, again, write me off forum, and I'll see what I can do.

As to the 14th, we didn't revise the Descent of Inanna, but did an improv ATS-style routine–but since I'm not up to pivoting on my right foot, I just came to watch for a change.

On the 22nd, House of Inanna did a shorter version of The Descent of Inanna (than the one we did at Rakkasah West in March) at TribalFest11 up in Sebastopol, which is a wonderful little town. The role of Ereshkigal, Inanna's twin or older sister, and definitely her Shadow, was choreographed for the two gimps in the troupe–Rowan with a bad shoulder, and me with my healing heel. Not much dancing for us–standing around, glaring & looking menacing, some pointing, a wee bit of walking, and that's about it.

I had been doing a little more thinking about Ereshkigal at each rehearsal. This time, we had a voice-over with a translation of two verses from the epic, framing verses one of our troupe had written, giving Inanna's thoughts as she was told to leave three (out of seven–not enough time!) of her garment/attributes before enetering Ereshkigal's domain, the Underworld. It helped with cues, as well as helping the audience understand what we were portraying.

BTW, I did get an awfully neat mehndi (henna art on one's skin) this time, complete with color and sparkles via a spray. I'm not sure how to upload an image from my disk in one of these messages, or I'd show you. Wish I'd obtained a card–and I'll definitely get one from her again. It was on my upper back, above my low choli neckline, and unlike those I've tried on face or chest, this one fixed and has stayed dark. By now, most of the others would be very light brown and the design hard to discern. I had her draw a phaelenopsis aka moth orchid in the center, with two roses on either side. She added some leafy flourishes (that were neither orchid nor rose leaves), and then the glitter spray.

I had managed to forget my husband's staff for my role, so Saturday night, having found no indie or local lumberyard open, I went to a Home Depot in Santa Rosa to get a 6' dowel of stafflike thickness. The next morning I was given a scrap of somewhat sparkly black material that I wrapped around the top of the staff.

We all did our makeup in the room where three of us were staying, and some dressed later, in the green room (where mirror space was at a premium, but less so than table space, on which to put your makeup array while applying it). This time, instead of a white cream, which never really dried, and which got over EVERYTHING it came in contact with, I had Ben Nye Professional Makeup products, white pigment powder and a finishing spray. Took two layers to get adequate white coverage on my face! While the other dancers wore pantaloons under an unbleached muslin shift in the same pattern, a Ghawazee coat of Indian sari brocade in various colors, a tassel belt, and a floral “crown”, I wore a slinky black underdress, a sparkly black burnout jacket over it, both floor length, topped by a deep red headress and jewelry (Bollywood style off eBay). Their makeup ws lighter than we usually go, and I was MUCH whiter–think of Dia de Los Muertes sugar skulls, with the black lines to highlight the lines of the face of the skull. I used green eye makeup to play up the jealousy aspect.

We were on ca. 1:30, two slots after Rachel Brice, who is something of a BigNameDancer. Technically, I thought she was great, but her choreography was nothing to write home about. I thought the Calgary troupe right after were more interesting to watch, and told them so. Then it was our turn, and I mounted the stage first, to be in the center when the others started.

A precis of the routine:

Troupe gets on, dances a bit and then are told to remove their crowns, dropping them in one of the baskets in front of me, while I glare and point, first to their heads, then to the basket. They dance a bit more, then are told to remove their belts, which they loosen while dancing, and then they come by, drop/point/glare, and go back to dancing again. Next comes the robe removal, which they loosen while dancing…. Once they've all done that–and some of them show resistance at various points, and I get more emphatic in my point&glare, they line up “naked” in their shifts and pantaloons and dance more. There is a cue for me to move forward, and I stand in front and to the side. I thump my staff three times, and point to the ground, whereupon, in three waves, they all drop to their knees and salaam to me. Before, all I've done is glared, frowned, and thumped off, shaking my head.

This time was different. Apparently I was channeling Ereshkigal, because the emotions coming out were more genuine than I usually show, more intense and complex as well. I got the crumply face I get before I cry, and fought back actual tears. I had come to the conclusion the night before than Ereshkigal felt that even after her sister was naked an abased before her, it was not enough to comfort her, not enough to make up for all the goods, power and acclaim that Inanna had. At this point in the emotional path, I shook my head several times, waved my arm to the right and behind me, and thumped thrice to allow the dancers to rise. I returned to my spot in the back, with the emotions still flowing and showing.

When the music ended, and it was time to bow and exit, I tamped things down again. Several people came up to me afterwards and said they were rather frightened of my character, and even some of my troupe sisters said it had been intense.

In ante-climax, we all packed up & changed to drive home. I stopped at a little shop that specialized in tea, truffles, and caramels. That would have to do instead of ice cream at Screamin' Mimi's. Wish I'd had time for both!

Caers
                    ✘ Not a client

Good grief I'm posting a lot tonight/morning. What can I say, it's a bad night.

So far this weekend I spent all Saturday morning in bed until I convinced my son to make coffee for me. Then I completely cleaned the kitchen and finished recaulking around the bath, and then caulked around the kitchen sink (the morons who installed it did a horrendous job so I just decided to fix it). I also finished painting the bathroom and the shelves, which I'm putting up later today. I'm also going to be caulking around the floor in the bathroom and the WC because I put new lino down and I want to seal the edges. My dad is visiting from America in two weeks, and I haven't seen him since I moved back to England (about 4 years ago) and I want him to see that I'm settled here, and good (I was not good at all when I left there).

So yeah, taking it pretty easy this weekend. 😀 Thank goodness for my pain meds.

Martin Reed
                      ★ Admin
                        'Caers' wrote on '16:

Good grief I'm posting a lot tonight/morning. What can I say, it's a bad night.

Perhaps, but it makes it a good night for the rest of us at Insomnia Land – we miss your posts when you go AWOL on us!!

You sound pretty handy – fancy coming over and fixing the plumbing under my kitchen sink?

If you are ready to stop struggling with insomnia you can enroll in the online insomnia coaching course right now! If you would prefer ongoing phone or video coaching calls as part of a powerful three month program that will help you reclaim your life from insomnia, consider applying for the Insomnia Clarity program.

The content of this post is provided for informational and educational purposes only. It is not medical advice and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease, disorder, or medical condition. It should never replace any advice given to you by your physician or any other licensed healthcare provider. Insomnia Coach LLC offers coaching services only and does not provide therapy, counseling, medical advice, or medical treatment. All content is provided “as is” and without warranties, either express or implied.

Caers
                        ✘ Not a client
                          'Martin' wrote on '17:

Perhaps, but it makes it a good night for the rest of us at Insomnia Land – we miss your posts when you go AWOL on us!!

You sound pretty handy – fancy coming over and fixing the plumbing under my kitchen sink?

I'm not too bad at plumbing but I've not had much experience with it 🙂

Also yeah, I vanish, and then bleh. IDK. I'm just glad there's this place to come back to when I need to. It's always a relief when I don't have to hear “Oh have you tried this and this? Maybe you just don't set a proper sleep pattern.” It makes me want to stab people.

Martin Reed
                          ★ Admin

Yup, we'll always be here for that precise reason (and to have some fun from time to time as well).

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

Get involved in this discussion! Log in or register now to have your say!

Want help from a caring sleep coach?

My name is Martin Reed and I am the founder of Insomnia Coach®. Enroll in my free sleep training course and start improving your sleep today.

• * Get 1 email every day for 2 weeks.
                          • * Learn how to improve your sleep.
                          • * Pay nothing (it's free).

Over 10,000 people have taken the course and 98% would recommend it to a friend. Your email address will not be shared or sold. You can unsubscribe at any time. Privacy policy.

Certified Health Education Specialist logo Certification in Clinical Sleep Health logo ACE-certified Health Coach logo